On March 20th, 2020, Animal Crossing New Horizons was released on the Nintendo Switch. It is the newest game of the very popular Animal Crossing series. Here are 10 interesting facts about Animal Crossing.
1. The first Animal Crossing game was released for the N64 in Japan, since the Gamecube appeared shortly after the publication of the game, the N64 version was revised with graphics filters and brought out for the Gamecube. This is also the reason why Animal Crossing on the Gamecube looks graphically relatively simple and bad compared to the other Gamecube games.
2. Nintendo did not initially plan to release Animal Crossing for the Gamecube in Europe. The reason was that the effort for the translation was too great. After the complaint and some fan actions, Nintendo was forced to take on this effort. Two years after the American release came, Animal Crossing finally to Europe.
3. There is an Animal Crossing movie. Doubutsu No Mori is a movie about Animal Crossing that came out in theaters in Japan on December 16, 2006. A little girl named Ai moves into a village populated with animals. The movie also features some popular characters from the games. The movie was never released outside of Japan but you can find it on YouTube.
4. The Animal Crossing leaf logo has a special meaning. Japanese folklore believes that Tanukis can turn leaves into money. Hence why the series has a Tanuki as a shopkeeper, leaves as inventory icons for furniture, and the ability to sometimes obtain bells when shaking trees in the game.
5. If you visit in Animal Crossing Wild World the tailoring just before closing (11p.m) and stay there during the closing, you can visit the tailoring all night.
6. In Animal Crossing New Leaf and New Horizons, boys can wear skirts.
7. The character Gracie is a male in the earlier Japanese versions.
8. In Animal Crossing Let’s Go To The City, Harriet has a photo on the shelf showing Gulliver’s UFO.
9. Sometimes Tom Nook or Blathers is not properly present, i.e. lost in thought. you can see it from the fact that they repeatedly emit the air loudly and a white breath cloud arises. you should talk to them because they will tell you a lot about their lives.
10. The pitfall is not only an item in Animal Crossing games, but also in Super Smash Bros Brawl. There it is also used as a pit. There is also an Animal Crossing Arena in Super Smash Bros Brawl.
Animal Crossing New Horizons is the first part of the game series that I played and I love it. I could never understand why there was such a hype about this game until I played it myself. I just enjoy creating my own little world where I can fish all day and find new friends. It is a beautiful game which is simple but does many things right. Animal Crossing New Horizons is without a doubt a great game.
By: Steven Landser